Cyanogenmod team has been working very hard at releasing a stable version of their highly anticipated CM9. Although the alpha version has been available for some time but that ROM is not suitable for daily use as many bugs still remain.
Well rejoice the users of old phone who are using CM7 or Android 2.3 because now you can enjoy some of the Ice cream sandwich goodness on your aging device and experience what ICS feels like first hand.
The ICS features are available in the CM7.2 RC which is based on the open source code of the Android 2.3.7 which incorporates some of the transition features that are found in the ICS.
In addition to those features which are already available in the Android 2.3.7, the Cyanogen decided to incorporate some additional features into their CM 7.2 which makes sure that this update will provide an important makeover to your device.
Features Available in CM 7.2 RC are:
- Predictive phone dialer which is similar to the HTC Sense UI and Samsung’s TouchWiz UI
- Assorted Bug fixes related to WIFI
- Media player and recorder fixes
- Lock screen updates and new styles
- Support for Bluetooth GPS dongles
- Better support for mouse and USB Keyboards
- Improved calendar reminders
Don’t worry because CM 7.2RC is supported on all of the major devices that are already running Android 2.3. In addition Cyanogen team have made sure to release a list of devices that support CM 7.2 RC but are not limited to:
- Samsung Galaxy Ace, Mini and Epic
- LG Optimus Black, 3D, Sol, Hub, Pro and One
- Motorola Atrix
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Live, Pro and Active
- Huawei U8150
The most impressive additions to this version of the custom firmware is the ICS effects and the dialer which is an addition that most users would welcome. In addition to the features that we already mentioned there are some other extra features which you can find out by visiting the CyanogenMod site.
Now you must be asking how to acquire this release and install it on the device? Well its simple just head over to the official site of the CyanogenMod team from there select your device and download CM 7.2 RC.
Be warned that you are responsible for any mishaps that might occur during the flashing of the custom firmware.
Flashing CM 7.2 RC
- Head over to CyanogenMod official site, select your device and download the firmware CM 7.2 RC
- Make sure your phone is rooted and make a NAND backup of your OS using CWM.
- After download is complete connect your phone to the PC and transfer the firmware to your SD card or internal storage.
- Now reboot your phone into recovery mode by holding down power button + home button + volume up key until you see the CWM recovery screen
- Now do a complete wipe and factory reset of your device.
- Select install update and browse to your SD or internal storage where you copied the firmware and install.
- The firmware will be installed in minutes and reboot your phone
- After reboot complete enjoy CM 7.2 RC with its ICS goodies.
We hope that you were able to use CM 7.2 RC and enjoy the enhancements provided by the firmware. Do let us know how you feel after using the firmware.