It has been quite some time since galaxy nexus running the latest version of Android ICS was released and already the team behind the highly popular after-market custom firmware is hard at work to release the OS on Galaxy S2.
They have promised that the Android 4.0 ICS will be available for Galaxy S2 at Q1 of 2012 most probably by the end of March. And to show their dedication they have released a highly experimental build of the firmware on galaxy s2 called Cyanogen Mod 9 (CM9).
CM9 is a port of the ICS firmware that is found on the Galaxy Nexus and is based on the latest ICS firmware 4.0.3. This firmware is highly experimental it will only give you a preview on how it will work in your Galaxy s2.Since this is an alpha built this firmware has lot of bugs and is not ready for everyday use. But the geeks can always give a try to this firmware to get an early feel of ICS on your galaxy S2.
Cyanogen Mod team hasn’t made any promise or given any exact date on when they will be releasing the full version of the port for galaxy s2. They only said that it will be released on March most probably after Samsung have released the official ICS firmware like XXKP8.
Well to those who want to give this experimental build a try on their device then we have written down some instructions on how to go about installing CM9 on your galaxy S2.
Instructions On Installing CM9
1. Download the ROM cm9_galaxys2_12252011.zip
2. Make sure to uninstall Samsung kies as it may interfere with the flashing process.
3. After download is complete extract the zip file and make sure that it contains the following files:
4. Transfer the files faceunlock 6.0 and gaoos 6.0 on to your phone’s SD card.
5. Now download Odinv1.85 and extract the file to get two files Odin3 v1.85.exe and Odin3.ini.
6. Turn of your phone and then reboot in to download mode by pressing down volume down + Home + Power button simultaneously until you see a screen with two options.
7. Now connect your phone to the PC with the USB cable.
8. Open Odin3 v1.85.exe on your PC and you should get a message showing Added
9. Now select the following files in their respective tabs:
- Click bootloader and select I9100_APBOOT_I9100XXKP2_CL17109_REV02_eng_mid_ship.tar.md5
- Click PDA and select I9100_CODE_CM9_12252011.tar.md5
- Click phone tab and select MODEM_I9100XXKP1_REV_02_CL1085642.tar.md5
10. Before you start the flashing process make sure that Re-partition and auto reboot are not checked marked and rest time checkbox is marked.
11. Now click the start button to start flashing and it will take a couple of minutes to finish and your phone will reboot
12. Now enter recovery mode by holding down volume up + home + power button.
13. You will see CWM recovery and use volume button to navigate to install zip from SD card and select the file faceunlock 6.0 and install it.
14. Repeat the process to install gapps 6.0.
15. After installation is complete reboot your phone and you will be introduced to CM9 running android OS version 4.0.3
Enjoy getting a taste of ICS on your Galaxy S2. The methods and procedures discussed here are to be carried out at your own risk we are not liable to any damage that may occur to your phone.