This method is specifically intended for the framework-res.apk, but still you can use this method for any APK.
Actually, the decompiling, editing, recompiling or signing yield a number of results, for example you can enable the onscreen buttons on any ICS ROM further you can change its size, edit the taskbar and even more.
Full credits will goes to the XDA Senior Developer theDroidfanatic who has come up with this work.
DISCLAIMER : Best Android Blog would not be held responsible/liable for any damages that takes place to your device while following these procedure. So, do everything at your own risk.
- A computer
- Your framework-res.apk (Or any other APK you want to decompile, edit, recompile and sign)
- Some resource files, you could find them here.
1. Extract all the files into one folder. Also, place the APK you want to edit in the same folder. The folder should now have three items.
- APK itself
2. Inside the folder, press ‘Shift’ and right-click on an empty space, and select open command window.
3. Inside the command window, type the following, and press enter:
java -jar apktool.jar d framework-res.apk framework-res
4. You should see a couple of things appearing in the command window, just wait for the process to finish.
5. When it is finished, close the command window.
6. Inside the folder where you extracted all the files and ran these commands, a new folder should have formed, with the name of the APK you decompiled .
7. Inside the folder, now all the contents of the APK, will be there and now you have successfully decompiled the framework-res.apk or any other APK file.
8. Open a command window using the same method as step #2.
9. Type in:
apktool b framework-res framework-res.apk
(Replace the names in this command with the names you have, if your APK is different: apktool b folder_name apk_name_of_your_choice.apk)
This will place an apk file in the directory with the apktool.jar.