If you own an Samsung Epic 4G and you always wanted to try a custom ROM and also that custom ROM offer some different UI experience then you are in luck because Hydra ROM which is a custom Android 4.0 ROM developed by XDA developer VeNum features a Tablet interface.
The ROM comes with performance and customization that you can expect from AOKP ROM. The only drawback of this ROM is that due to the tablet interface and the small size of the screen the texts and icon size appear small.
But still if you want to give this Rom a try then just to try out the tablet interface then read on to find the instructions that are needed for installing the Hydra ROM on your Samsung Epic 4G touch.
Things You Need
- Latest version of Hydra ROM from their development page
- Google apps file name is gapps-HyDrA2-20120429-signed.zip
- Transfer the downloaded files to your SD card
- USB cable
How To Install EL26 Stock ClockworkMod Recovery
- You need to download and install the latest drivers for your phone
- Download the EL26 Stock CWM Recovery and the file name will be StockCWM-EL26.tar.md5
- Startup Odin v1.85 and switch your phone off
- Enter download mode on your phone by pressing and holding Volume up + power button and connect your phone to the PC with the USB cable
- In Odin it will show added and then click on PDA and select the file that you downloaded in step 2
- Uncheck auto reboot option and then click on start button to start flashing the stock clockworkmod recovery
- After flashing is complete unplug your phone and remove the battery and then reinsert it but do not turn the phone on yet
How To Install Hydra ROM
- Now you must boot into clockworkmod recovery which is done by holding power button + volume up
- First make a Nandroid backup of your previous installation
- Select wipe data/factory reset and select yes to begin wiping the data on your phone
- The latest version of the ROM which you have downloaded from their development page must be transferred to your SD card along with the Google apps.
- Now select the option install from SD card and first select the ROM and install it.
- After installation is complete now select the Gapps and install it.
- After installation is complete now select reboot from main menu of recovery and boot into hydra rom to enjoy the tablet UI.
Due to complaints from many users that the texts and icon size is too small the developer has provided some tips and tricks that will help you to enhance the usability of the ROM.
- Set the font size to HUGE
- In nova settings set the desktop settings width and height to NONE for more screen size
- Since the market things you are using a tablet you will not be able to find the phone apps if that happens then set the dpi to 240 and reboot. After downloading the apps you need reset to 128 and then reboot. To change DPI go to Settings > ROM control > General UI and change the LCD density settings
- If you want to change the color so that it matches Mega Blue then use HEX VALUES #ff0075ff in ROM Control in Settings
So there you have an easy way with which you can enjoy tablet UI on your device. Do let us know if you face any difficulty.