The T-Mobile Galaxy S2 users now update a new Android 4.1 Jelly Bean based CM10 ROM in their device. Please make a note that this is not an official ROM released by Samsung. It is a custom ROM under development and may have few bugs in it.
Full credits will goes to the XDA Forum Member Shri_chanakya who is the one come up with this work. Based on the official CM10 ROM, he has made few tweaks and optimizations of his own, and also included a custom kernel (Dream Kernel) for better performance.
And obviously, you know that Jelly Bean has lots of goodies such as smooth, fluid and responsive interface, redesigned status bar with expandable and actionable notifications, Google’s intelligent voice recognition assisted search, and many more useful improvements. So, this might be a enough reason to update this firmware in your device.
Please be informed that it is based on stock Android, so any Samsung-specific features will not be available and a few apps will be different from their original versions (such as camera or gallery).
In due course, of this article we are guiding you how to install the Shri Chanakya CM10 ROM on the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 device.
This Custom ROM firmware and the steps which we are given below are one and only compatible with the T-Mobile Galaxy S2, model number SGH-T989. So don’t try this with other device. You can check your model number in Settings >> About phone.
DISCLAIMER: We should not be held responsible for any damages that might occur to your device while following this firmware update procedure given below.
Pre-requisites to install Shri Chanakya CM10 ROM on T-Mobile Galaxy S2:
- Before start to apply this update you need to back up all the data (i.e SMS, MMS, APNs Call log etc) present in your phone with the help of backup applications.
NOTE : Please note down at least your network APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. For that go to Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. Even-though APN Settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if it is needed to make mobile data work.
- It is necessary to keep a battery level of 60-70% or else there is a risk of your device getting turned OFF in the middle of firmware update.
- Disable preferably Uninstall all the antivirus tools in your device, because this may interrupt the process of firmware update.
So, once you have done all the above mentioned instructions, now you can switch over to the next step to install the CM10 ROM in your device by following the procedure which we have given below.
How to Install Shri Chanakya CM10 ROM on T-Mobile Galaxy S2:
1. First, install the ClockworkMod (CWM) Touch recovery in your phone and then download the latest version of the ROM from here.
2. Now, again download the Google Apps Package. This will install the apps like Play Store, G mail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
3. And also, download the following file SGH-T989_DARKSIDE.SUPER.WIPE_EXT4.zip
4. Just copy the 3 zip files which we have mentioned above to your internal SD Card on the phone (don’t extract them).
5. Now, turn OFF your phone, and allow it to boot into recovery mode. To do so, you need to press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons together. Phone will boot into CWM recovery.
6. Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it to a fully working state from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
7. Now select install zip from SD card, then select choose zip from SD card. Scroll to the SGH-T989_DARKSIDE.SUPER.WIPE_EXT4.zip file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen.
8. After installation is complete (your phone might reboot in between), select choose zip from SD card again, then select the ROM file. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
9. After ROM installation process completes, select choose zip from SD card again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
10. Once, installation is complete, then select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into the ROM.
NOTE : If you want to go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as explained in step 5), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Now, that’s it you have successfully installed the Shri Chanakya CM10 ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2 device.