The Galaxy Note is a big phone, but it does not mean that the software powering it has too big. The AT&T Galaxy Note has received a port of the slimmest custom ROM around – Slim Bean, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
Slim Bean is a bare-bones ROM that is very light on resources and very small in size. It has all the useful software and provides a slim and light Android experience. It includes more useful options and provides over the air addons which let you add more functionality as you see fit.
Please make a note that this is not an official Samsung ROM. Since it is a Custom ROM that is under development and may have a few errors and issues and some things may not work properly and some stock Samsung ROM features will not be available.
The procedure which we have given below is compatible one and only for AT&T Galaxy
Note, SGH-i717. So, please do not try with any other devices, including international version N7000 if you do so your device will get damage. You can check your device model number in Settings » About phone.
DISCLAIMER: We should not be held responsible for any damages that might occur to your device while following this firmware update procedure given below.
Pre-requisites to Install Slim Bean ROM on AT&T Galaxy Note:
- Before start to apply this update you need to back up all the data (i.e SMS, MMS, APNs Call log etc) present in your phone with the help of backup applications. Because, if you lost your data due to any reason you can easily get back with the help of them.
- Make sure that you have left battery level of at-least 50% or else there is a risk of your device getting turned OFF in the middle of firmware update.
- Enable USB Debugging mode in your device, by following the path – “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”.
- After that disable all the antivirus applications installed in your device, because this may interrupt the process of firmware update.
So, once you confirmed you have done all the above mentioned instructions, then you can switch over to the next steps which we have given below to enable voice calling in your device.
How to Install Slim Bean ROM on AT&T Galaxy Note:
1. This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it won’t disturb your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). So Back up your apps and important data as we have mentioned earlier.
NOTE : Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work.
2. You must use TWRP recovery to install this ROM.
3. Download the latest version of the ROM from here.
4. And also download the Google apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
5. Now, copy the two zip files which we have mentioned above to the SD card on the phone.
6. Turn OFF the phone; then allow it to boot into TWRP recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons together. When the screen turns on, let go of the Power button, but keep holding the volume buttons till you enter TWRP recovery.
7. Perform a full backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, tap on Backup, then slide the blue circle button at the bottom to the right to start backing up your current ROM. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
8. Select Wipe, then select Factory Reset and then confirm the data wipe. This will not wipe your internal SD card’s contents, so do not worry. Then, go back to the main menu by clicking the home button after wipe is complete.
9. Select Install, then browse and select the ROM file you downloaded in step 3 which we have mentioned above. Confirm installation to flash it.
10. Once the installation process is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into Slim Bean ROM. The first boot will take more time than expected time so, you have to wait until the process is complete.
11. Still, if you want to add features like Google Now or other missing apps, go into Settings » OTA and download and install the features you want.
NOTE : If you want to go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as given in step 6), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Congratulations! now you have successfully installed the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your AT&T Galaxy Note.