Amazon Kindle Fire users can now taste the features of the newly released Android 4.1 Jelly bean mobile operating system with the help of Jelly Bean 4.1.1_r1 Custom ROM Firmware. Some smart people at the XDA developers has released this firmware for the Kindle fire users.
Please be informed that this firmware release is not an official one from Google or from Amazon, but from a third party developer. Also note, that the firmware is in its beta stages and updating your device to this firmware will disable some features.
WHAT’S NOT WORKING
– HD codecs (YouTube and Netflix): Texas Instruments is updating the libion code for JB and I’ll be fixing that soon.
– Probably more as we find it — it’s BETA.. expect some.
– AOSP likes to over rotate the screen when you change position. I have a patch for frameworks/base to fix it but hey.. it’s AOSP.. CM10 will already have it patched.
– UMS.. I have no idea where to turn on UMS in this damn ROM. Tell me if you find it.
Well, lets check out how to update your kindle fire to this newly released firmware.
Important: We and the developer of this firmware will not be held responsible for any damages which might occur to your device while following this tutorial.
Pre-Requisites To Update Kindle Fire With Android Jelly Bean 4.1.1_r1 Custom ROM Firmware
- This Jelly Bean 4.1.1_r1 firmware released today is only for the Amazon Kindle Fire tablets. So, don’t try it with any other Android device.
- You will need to ensure that ADB is installed on your computer, since you will need it to enable the WiFi in your tablet.
- Before updating to this firmware, take complete backup of your tablets data using appropriate data backup applications.
- Ensure a minimum of 50% battery charge is left in your tablet. Otherwise it might get switched off while following the update procedure.
- Disable all the antivirus applications in your Amazon tablet and computer, to avoid disruption from them.
Assuming that you have performed all these pre-requisites, lets move on to the actual firmware update procedure.
How To Update Kindle Fire With Android Jelly Bean 4.1.1_r1 Custom ROM Firmware
- To get started, download Jelly Bean 4.1.1_r1 Custom ROM Firmware and Jelly Bean Gapps directly into your computer.
- Now connect your Kindle Fire to the computer and transfer the downloaded packages to the device. Once done, disconnect your device and turn if off.
- Now boot your tablet in the recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, select “Wipe data/factory reset” & “Wipe Cache partition” to clear the caches from your device.
- Once done, select “install zip from SD Card” followed by “choose zip from SD Card” and select the Jelly Bean 4.1.1_r1 package. The installation will begin and it will get finished within few minutes. Follow the same procedure and install the Jelly Bean Gapps package as well.
- Once the installation is over, your tablet will land back in the recovery mode. Now select “Go Back” followed by “reboot system now” to reboot your device in the normal mode.
- Upon reboot connect your Kindle fire with the computer using the original USB data cable. Now open command prompt and enter the following command to get the WiFi working.
There you go! Now you have successfully update your Amazon Kindle Fire tablet with newly released Android Jelly Bean 4.1.1_r1 Custom ROM Firmware.