In this article we will be checking out on how you can update your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 with the latest Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 update with the help of a simple procedure.
This new ICS update brings all the goodness of Android 4.0 -such as multi-tasking menu, face unlock, all new e.mail experience, better battery life and faster UI clubbed with maximum optimized performance.
The best part of this update is that the warranty won’t be affected in any manner after applying this update as it is an official firmware released by Samsung.
COMPATIBILITY : This update can only be applied to the Galaxy Tab 7.7 devices which have the model number as T859, you can check the model number from the path “Settings > About Device/ About Tablet” where you can find the model number.
DISCLAIMER: We should not be held responsible for any damages that might occur to your device while following this firmware update procedure given below.
Pre-requisites to Update Samsung Galaxy Tab 7. with latest ICS 4.0.4 update:
- Before start to apply this update we strongly advise you to take backup of all the data (i.e SMS, MMS, Call logs etc) present in your phone. If you lost your data while applying this update due to any reasons you can easily recover them with the help of backup.
- Once you have created a backup of the data, move all the backup files in your computer so that they are safe.
- Make sure that you have left battery level of atleast 50% or else there is a risk of your device getting turned OFF in the middle of firmware update.
- Enable USB Debugging mode in your device, by following the path – “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”.
- After that disable all the antivirus applications installed in your device, because this may interrupt the process of firmware update.
So, once you confirmed you have done all the above mentioned instructions, then you can switch over to the next steps which we have given below to apply this firmware update in your device.
How to Update Samsung Galaxy Tab 7. with latest ICS 4.0.4 update:
- First, download and install KIES on your computer in order to install the drivers for the tablet. After installing the KIES, make sure that it is not running. If it is running then exit it from the Taskbar at the bottom if it is running as it can interfere with the flashing process.
- This procedure might need you to factory reset your tablet, specifically if you are installing the firmware on a Custom ROM. So, it is advisable to take back up all your entire data as we mentioned earlier.
- Now, turn OFF your Galaxy Tab 7.7, then boot into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Down + Power buttons till the screen turns on, then let go of the power button but keep holding the Volume Down button till you get a Warning! screen.
- If you want to confirm, whether it enter into a download mode or not, then let go of the volume down button and then press the Volume Up button.
- Now open the odin file and connect your tablet to the computer. You should get the message “Added” under Odin’s message box in the bottom left. If you don’t get this message, then probably there is a problem with drivers.
- So, check whether KIES is properly installed (but again, make sure it is not actively running even in the taskbar) and also try to switch another USB port-preferably a USB port on the back if using a desktop computer.
- Now, hit the START button to start flashing the Android 4.0 firmware on your T-Mobile Galaxy Tab 7.7. After the flashing is complete, the tablet will automatically reboot. You’ll also get a PASS message in ODIN. You can now safely disconnect your tablet from the computer.
NOTE : If ODIN gets stuck and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, or you get a FAIL message (with red background) in ODIN, disconnect the tablet from the PC, close ODIN, then press and hold Volume Down + Power keys till the device reboots and shows the Warning! screen. Here, press Volume Up key to continue to enter Download Mode, then repeat the above mentioned procedures again.
After you get the PASS message and the tablet reboots, it might get stuck at the booting animation. If that happens, perform the following steps to make it boot. Remember that these steps will wipe your personal data like contacts, apps, messages, etc. If your tablet has already booted, skip these steps, your tablet has been updated successfully:
1. Boot to recovery mode — for which, press and hold Volume Up + Power keys together till the tablet reboots, then let go of the power button but keep holding down the Volume Up button for a few more seconds to boot into recovery. Once you are in recovery mode, use volume keys to move the selection up and down and power key to select the option.
2. Go to Wipe data/Factory Reset and select it. Select Yes on next screen.
3. Then, select reboot system now to reboot the tablet, which will now boot properly.
Now, that’s it your T-Mobile Galaxy Tab 7.7 has been successfully updated to the official Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich update.