The Paranoid Android ROM has now been ported to the T-Mobile Galaxy S2. It’s features allows for an interface that mixes elements from both phone and tablet interface for effective use of large displays on phones. It also allows you to individually set apps, widgets and different system components to be used in phone, tablet or the hybrid phablet mode.
Full credits goes to the XDA Forum member jay.dub who released this firmware. The Paranoid Android ROM is based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, hence bringing the features of the latest version of Android along with it as well – like the butter smooth interface, redesigned notifications, Google Now for an improved Search experience, faster browsing, and more.
Please be informed that this is not an official ROM by T-Mobile/Samsung this is just an custom ROM under development and may have a few issues in it. Also, it is based on stock Android so any Samsung-specific features will not be available and a few apps will be different from their original versions (such as camera or gallery).
This ROM and guide which has given below are compatible only for T-Mobile Galaxy S2, model number SGH-T989. So don’t try with any other devices if you do so it may brick your device. You can check your device’s model number in Settings << About Phone.
Prerequisites to Update T-Mobile Galaxy S2 with Paranoid Android ROM:
- Before start to apply this update we strongly advise you to take backup of all the data (i.e SMS, MMS, Call logs, APNs etc) present in your phone. If you lost your data while applying this update due to any reasons you can easily recover them with the help of backup.
- Once you have created a backup of the data, move all the backup files in your computer so that they are safe.
- Make sure that you have left battery level of atleast 50% or else there is a risk of your device getting turned OFF in the middle of firmware update.
- Enable USB Debugging mode in your device, by following the path – “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”.
- After that disable all the antivirus applications installed in your device, because this may interrupt the process of firmware update.
So, once you confirmed you have done all the above mentioned instructions, then you can switch over to the next steps which we have given below to apply this firmware update in your device.
DISCLAIMER : We should not be held responsible for any damage that occur to your device due to not following the given below instructions.
How to Install Paranoid Android ROM on T-Mobile Galaxy S2 :
1. First, install the ClockworkMod (CWM) Touch recovery on the phone.
2. Next, download the latest version of the ROM and the Google Apps package. This will install the applications like Play Store, G-Mail etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Click here for Alternate link | Filename : gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
3. And also download the following file SGHT989_DARKSIDE.SUPER.WIPE_EXT4.zip
4. Now, copy the three zip files which we have mentioned in the above steps; to the SD card on the phone. (Please do not extract them).
5. Now turn OFF the phone, then boot into the recovery mode. For this press and hold the Volume Up+ Volume Down+Power button together until the screen turns ON. Phone will boot into CWM Recovery.
6. Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it to a fully working state from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, then select Backup. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
7. Now select install zip from SD card, then select choose zip from SD card. Scroll to the SGH-T989_DARKSIDE.SUPER.WIPE_EXT4.zip file on the SD card and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes on the next screen.
8. After installation is complete (your phone might reboot in between), select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the ROM file. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
9. After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from SD card again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
10. After installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into Paranoid Android ROM.
NOTE: If you want to go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as explained in step 5), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Congratulations! now you have successfully installed Paranoid Android ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean in T-Mobile Galaxy S2. Please don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section. If you have any issues then let us know.