In this rooting procedure we are going to use the RegawMOD Hero Rooter tool. It provides easy rooting for HTC CDMA hero.
If you do not see the Superuser Permissions app in the app tray after running the exploit, on your phone, go to Settings > About Phone > Software information.
If it says 2.27.651.6 under “Build Number” (notice the bolded, underlined, italic 6), you need to run the RUU in the second post of this thread to revert to .5 first. Doing this WILL erase all of your data on your phone, so be sure to back up anything if you need to first.
The Hero 2.1 exploit is based on the EVO rooting method. As of now, this guide is for windows only.Soon, it will come for OS & Linux.
DISCLAIMER : Best Android Blog would not be held responsible/liable for any damages that occur to your device by following the given below procedure. So, do everything at your own risk.
Make sure your phone is unplugged from computer until I tell to you to plug in. If you already have the Android SDK and HTC Sync set up on your computer, skip to step 4 now.
1. First download the Android SDK from here.
2. Then extract the Android SDK zip. Move the contents of the extracted zip to C:/ Your android tools folder path should now be C:\android-sdk-windows\tools.
3. Download HTC Sync 2.0.33 from here. Run the installer, and reboot your computer when it is finished. Move on to step 4 once it is rebooted.
4. Download the hero-root zip. This zip contains everything you need to root your Hero (md5: c6e5058ed14f71c68fb099e10be142fb)
5. Extract the three files inside hero-root.zip to the C:\android-sdk-windows\tools folder on your computer.
6. Make sure USB Debugging is on in your HTC Hero. For that you need to go to Settings > Applications > Development > and make sure it is checked.
7. Plug your phone into the computer via USB, make sure that the connection type in the notification pull down bar is “Charge Only”, not “Disk Drive” or else this won’t work. If your computer asks you to restart after the new drivers were installed, do that now.
8. After that open the Command prompt window by clicking the Start button and type cmd into the search box and press enter. It is also found under Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
9. You will now enter the commands that I have put in code boxes followed by pressing ENTER, one code at a time. You may also copy/paste these commands into the command prompt, pressing enter after each, one at a time. Comments will be outside of the code boxes (do NOT type these into the Command Prompt as they just are to help describe the root process)
You should now see C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>
10. Now type
If you’ve been following this guide you will see your phone’s serial number. If you get “device not found” error, you either need to make sure you the drivers were properly installed or make sure you enable USB debugging on your phone. Continue on once you get the proper phone serial output.
You will now push the files needed to gain root to your sdcard in your phone with these following commands:
adb push unrevoked /sdcard
adb push recovery.img /sdcard
adb push boot-patched.zip /sdcard
Now, we run the exploit. Be patient, this may take upto 40 seconds.
(You should now see $)
11. Now, you should see the output like this:
$ sh /sdcard/unrevoked
Unpacking, please wait…
88 88 88b 88 88″”Yb 888888 88 dP dP”Yb 88 dP 888888 8888b.
88 88 88Yb88 88__dP 88__ 88dP dP Yb 88odP 88__ 8I Yb
Y8 8P 88 Y88 88″Yb 88″” 8dP Yb dP 88″Yb 88″” 8I dY
`YbodP’ 88 Y8 88 Yb 888888 YP YbodP 88 Yb 888888 8888Y
unrEVOked: root for HTC evo and hero (http://unrevoked.com)
12. Now, on your phone, go to app tray, and you will see that the Superuser Permissions app is in it. Open the Superuser Permissions app. You will see a blank screen.
13. If you do not see the Superuser Permissions app in the app tray, go to Settings>About Phone>Software information.
14. If it says 2.27.651.6 under “Build Number” (notice the bolded, underlined, italic 6), you need to run the RUU in the second post of this thread to revert to .5 first and run this guide again. Doing this WILL erase all of your data on your phone, so be sure to back up anything if you need to first.
15. In the Command Prompt on your computer, type:
16. A prompt will appear on your Hero asking you to give /system/bin/sh privileges. Click Allow.
17. Go back to your command prompt, and you should see
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
18. Flashing the recovery may take many seconds to complete. Wait until the # symbol returns to proceed.
19. You should now see
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
20. This means it was a successful flash.
21. Your phone will now boot to the custom recovery image you just flashed.
22. If that doesn’t work, (ie you get errors or it stays at the white/green HTC screen) try using this recovery image, put it on your sdcard, and try code #9 again.
23. In the Recovery Menu on your phone, choose the option:
Flash zip from sdcard
24. Then select
and press the Home button to apply. Once Recovery says “Install from sdcard complete”, you need to make a nandroid backup!
25. In the main menu or the Recovery Screen, you will see an option that says
Choose that option, and then choose the option
This can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient while you see the
Once done, a nandroid backup of your phone will be created and saved to your sdcard in the folder directory:
/sdcard/nandroid/(your serial number)/
26. When it is complete, hit the back button to return to the Main menu, and hit “Reboot system now” from the menu to reboot normally!
DISABLE OTA UPDATES!!!!
To disable OTA updates that will patch this exploit, (after rooting and booted after creating a nandroid backup) run the following commands from Command Prompt.
27. After doing this, the OTA updates WILL still download, BUT they will not pass signature checks to flash because of the code you just entered.
That’s it. Now, you will have a full root access on 2.1. Congrats!