Hi folks! in this article you will find out how to unlock and relock the bootloader of the Xperia Z and Xperia ZL device.
Before start to proceed, please be informed that the Xperia devices released on 2013 or later (for example Xperia Z and Xperia Z), the SD card of your device will be formatted and you will lose all content (for example photos, music, videos) when you unlock the bootloader. DRM keys will be lost forever (which means no more Music ID/Gracenote within the Walkman app. Sometimes the older Xperia devices got issues after unlock of bootloader (Brick after FOTA Update)- you have been warned.
If you are a newbie you may probably think why to unlock the bootloader and what is the use for doing that? Here is an answer for your doubt. Once you unlock your bootloader you can flash custom kernels and you don’t need to worry if the new firmware can be rooted or not as with unlocked bootloader you can always root your device.
And further, Sony give sneak-peak/preview builds of latest OS which requires unlocked bootloaders, as they did with Xperia 2011-2012 line, so who knows may be Sony may give early builds of next android OS.
DISCLAIMER : Best Android Blog would not be held responsible/liable for any damages that occur to your device by following the given below procedure. So, do everything at your own risk.
- Before start to proceed you need to get the IMEI code of your device. For that you need to type *#06# inphone dialer to find it out, note only the digits (no dashes).
- Then download the fastboot package with USB drivers (alternate drivers if the ones in package don’t work or this).
- Make sure you have a windows PC with USB cable to connect the phone.
- Then power down your phone and keeping the volume up button pressed connect the USB cable to PC this will trigger FASTBOOT mode and windows will start driver installation, extract the above package and point the driver install to that location (USB_Driver) folder.
- Once drivers are installed, just disconnect the cable and power on the device.
How to unlock:
- First go here and read everything after that at the bottom click ‘Start Unlocking the Bootloader’.
1. First, you should confirm that it is possible to unlock the boot loader of your phone by checking the service menu. In your phone, open the dialer and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.
2. In your phone, tap service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked.
- After you have verified that you can unlock bootloader, scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Continue”.
- Then you will get numerous prompts, read all info and if you agree click on “Accept”/”OK”/”Proceed”.
- Finally you will get a “Create Unlock request” enter your IMEI (Sometimes the last digit needs to be removed for this to work), name and e.mail address.
- You should now receive your unique unlock key via E.mail, save this key safely.
- Extract fastboot_with_Android_USB_file.rar and open fastboot folder.
- Then Hold Shift and right click on the background of the folder.
- Select “Open Command window here”.
- Connect your phone in fastboot mode (turn the phone off, hold the Volume UP button and plug in USB Cable).
- In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0×0 fce getvar version.
- If a value is returned (it will return 0.5), it means the phone is correctly connected.
- Type in fastboot.exe -i 0×0 fce oem unlock 0xKEY and replace KEY with the key with the key which you received earlier.
- Your device should now be bootloader unlocked. Congrats!
Incoming search terms:
- relock bootloader xperia z
- relocking bootloader xperia z