The users of Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 i957 can now install the unofficial AOKP firmware. Please make a note that this is an unofficial AOKP build firmware only; there is still no announcement on when there will be an official firmware released by Samsung.
Eventhough, this is an unofficial firmware, it comes with all the goodness of Jellybean 4.1 release; so you can download and install the same on your rooted device. Full credits will goes to the XDA recognized dan-htc-touch developer who come up with this firmware.
In due course of this article we will guide you on how to apply this update in Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 without any issues.
Since this is a custom ROM firmware, you can apply this update only if your device is rooted. If you are not sure whether your device is rooted or not then download the “Root Checker” app from the Google Play Store and check the same.
You can easily revert back to the original stock firmware, note down the current firmware version from the path “Settings > About device” and then note down all the data.
Pre requisites to Update Galaxy Tab 8.9 with Jellybean 4.1.1 based AOKP firmware:
- We strongly advising you to take backup of all your precious data (i.e SMS, MMS, Call logs, APNs etc) present in your phone. Just in case; if your data might corrupted or erased due to any reasons you can easily recover them with the help of backup.
- Please take the backup manually and not with the KIES as KIES does not detect the custom ROM firmwares.
- Make sure that you have left battery level of at least 40% or else there is a risk of your device getting turned OFF in the middle of firmware update.
- Enable USB Debugging mode by selecting the appropriate option in your Samsung Galaxy tab 8.9 i957 tablet, by following the path – “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”.
- After that disable all the antivirus applications installed in your device, because this may interrupt the process of firmware update.
So, once you have performed all the above mentioned instructions, you can head over to the next steps where we have summed up a detailed tutorial on how to update your device.
DISCLAIMER : We and even the developer won’t be held responsible for any damage that takes place to your device while following these steps.
How to Update Galaxy Tab 8.9 with Jellybean 4.1.1 based AOKP firmware:
- First downloaded the Jellybean 4.1.1 based firmware and Google Apps Package from here to your computer.
- Once downloaded, then connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable and place the same in your tablet.
- After that; disconnect the tablet connected from computer and turn OFF the device so that it can be entered in the recovery mode.
- You can also enter the device in the recovery mode from the ROM Manager app which can be downloaded from the Google Play Store.
- In recovery mode, select “install zip from SD card” > “choose zip from SD card” and then choose the placed Unofficial jellybean 4.1.1 based AOKP firmware package and Google Apps.
- Once the files are selected, it will take few more minutes for applying the firmware update which can be tracked with the help of the progress bar.
- Once it has finished, you need to select “++++ Go Back ++++” > “reboot system now” to reboot the phone. Please note that it will take more than normal time for booting the device after the firmware is applied.
- If you are getting any force close errors, then from the recovery mode, clear all the cache from the device as these files create the force close issues.
NOTE : Just in case; if your Samsung Tab refuses to turn ON or say if it gets stuck on the Samsung Logo then you need to long press the power button to turn OFF the same or re insert the battery to start the process from the start.
Congo! you have now successfully applied the firmware update of Jellybean 4.1 based AOKP in your Galaxy Tab 8.9 device.